Monday, March 9, 2009

Tanning Tax

So I saw on the news the other day that there was a bill proposed to tax tanning salons for the research of melanoma cancer. I believe that it did not get passed (correct me if I'm wrong). And while I am just fine with this bill, I can think of something much more harmful that a lot more people indulge in:
Food! fast food, doughnuts, pizza and many other foods full of preservatives and fats and sugars that are far more harmful for our bodies that can lead to anything as mild as acne, bad breath and wrinkles; to rotten teeth and depression; to type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and cancer, etc... I admit, I have been known to partake of both tanning and unhealthy foods, I'm not saying I'm perfect and all that, but the tanning tax just got me thinking about how harmful tanning really is versus the horribly unhealthy lifestyle of most Americans. And I know that figuring out the 'hows and whats' of taxing unhealthy food would be incredibly complicated, and I know it will never ever happen-- but I still think a bill should be proposed for all of the damaging food before a tanning bed.

2 comments:

Team Shelton said...

Thank you for this post! I totally agree with you. It bothers me so much that people are not more careful with what they eat. Yeah they make not smoke or drink, but they eat junk food or pre-packaged food everyday. Americans definitely need to go back to the basics and eat a whole food diet.
-Heidi

Katrina said...

Kinda funny! You are totally right!! :)

So, are you going to make it to enrichment on Thursday night? Let me know...it'd be fun to go together!

-