Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Challenges!

While preparing for the Rex Lee Run (this Saturday!!!!!) I have had a few challenges that I've had to overcome that have been very frustrating for me.
#1- This one is completely my fault and I was really dumb about it but oh well. Samantha was REALLY sick for about 10 days, and I was so exhausted from taking care of her that I skipped my workouts. So I didn't work out more than just 8 min abs/buns/ or thighs for that long!!! Not good.
#2- Shin Splints!!!! I have gotten(wow, bad English here, but I don't know what word to use) shin splints since I was just a little girl! I got some nice shoes (a few months back Runner's corner helped me find some since I run funny) which helped, but didn't cure. Today I went over to 26.2 (awesome new store!) and they gave me some compression things that should help! Yay! If they don't help immediately then tomorrow will be my last run before Saturday because I do NOT want to run when I already have shin splints!
#3- Breathing/ Asthma! Also something that I have had my whole life, but that has been worse since living in Utah (I blame all the pollution, and my doc agreed). I have never been able to run until my legs hurt (I'm talking muscles, not shin splints), or even run until I broke a decent sweat, simply because my lungs would NOT keep up with me!! So frustrating! Anyway I won't go into the boring details, but the Lord was definitely looking out for me when he guided me to discover I might have exercise induced asthma. I went to the doc and we talked for a bit then he prescribed me an inhaler which I used for the first time today... and it was AMAZING the difference. Today I was able to go significantly further than usual, and when I stopped I wasn't choking and gasping fighting to suck in air.. I simply inhaled and my lungs were full!! I still need to build up my lung- endurance, but it was so nice today to be able to catch my breath by slowing to a fast walk, and it was nice to be able to run until I was sweaty and my legs hurt!
So over the last 3 1/2 weeks I have had many frustrations, but I am happy to say that I am super excited for Saturday! I may not be as ready as I hoped to be, but I'm excited and feel like I can make at least myself proud. I'm sure my time won't be very impressive, but that's not what I'm going to worry about :)
WISH ME LUCK!!!

4 comments:

Briana said...

I'm scared! I don't know if I'll survive it...ugg. I wish I would have had more time to train and stuff but school is just so busy

Katrina said...

Good luck on Saturday! And good for you to push through the challenges and achieve your goal! You'll be great! :) (I agree...probably partly the pollution here but partly how dry it gets--it's tough! I have the same problem and i don't have asthma!)

Hope Sammie is feeling better now! See you Thursday!

Charles and Nancy said...

Good luck on Saturday! I'm sure you will do great! And I think you are amazing to be able to push through those challenges. I can't even imagine how frustrating asthma is for you but I can feel your pain with the shin splints, no fun!

Sarah said...

Good luck! You are going to be awesome!

-