Friday, June 25, 2010

IUD

Interesting stuff...

So Jacob has to take a bunch of science classes and in his physiology class he learned something that I thought people should know about. It has to do with IUDs. Did you know an IUD does NOT prevent fertilization- it prevents implantation. Implantation occurs 5-12 days after ovulation (fertilization occurs within a day or so of ovulation) So it's quite similar to taking a morning after pill. A morning after pill is supposed to prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg, and also changes the walls of the uterus so that if by chance an egg is fertilized it won't implant.

What I'm getting at is this: I understand it is a personal opinion on when the spirit enters the body, SO depending on your beliefs about it, an IUD may or may not be your best option of contraception..While it is not my personal belief (after studying what has been said about it) that the spirit enters at conception/fertilization, I know there are those out there who believe it does, and I definitely respect your opinion, which is why I decided to post about this.

I had an IUD after I had Samantha, and the doctor certainly did not tell me it only prevented implantation, I assumed it was the same as the pill. I don't know if knowing that would have led me to not get it, it's hard to say when I'm not in the position. I didn't like my IUD for other reasons and won't be getting one again, so it's not something I have to consider, because I don't WANT one, so I don't know how I would be feeling if I did want one- ya know what I'm saying?

3 comments:

Charles and Nancy said...

Interesting. I had no idea.

Stephanie said...

Hmmm... I was planning on getting one soon... why didn't you like it?

Lacey.costner said...

interesting info Nicole. I have an IUD and L-O-V-E it, but I can see how you might not have liked it....I never knew that it prevented implantation, but it still doesn't effect how I feel about it. I don't believe the spirit enters at conception, so I'm good, but I can see how other people may be wary about it, thanks for the blog!

-