Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

I have been using/making homemade liquid laundry soap for about 9-10 months now, and I've only spent about $6 on the soap I've used up to this point. I normally would have spent about $40-50 in this amount of time. I was wondering to myself why I haven't shared it with all my blogging friends yet! Selfish, selfish!

My friends Hilary and Mari got me started on the stuff, and it really has worked very well!! sometimes I still run a load of whites with some Tide to brighten them up, but other than that, I use this for everything!

Recipe:

I bar fels naptha soap, grated

1 cup arm and hammer washing soda

1 cup borax

2 1/2 -5 gallons of hot tap water (I'll explain the difference later)

You will need a 5 gallon bucket and something to put your detergent in- I use saved juice containers (the large ones) and old liquid detergent containers, but you can use anything.

Heat up a pot of 8 c. water (don't bring it to a boil!- also anywhere from 4-16 cups works, just make sure you know how much you use!). Dump in your grated fels naptha soap and wait for it to dissolve, stirring occasionally, if desired. Dump into a 5 gallon bucket and add borax and washing soda. Make sure both are dissolved and add your water. If you go with 5 gallons just fill up your whole bucket, don't worry about measuring. If you do less than 5 gallons, there are 16 cups in a gallon. Stir a bit to make sure it's mixed. then, using a funnel and something to scoop with (I use a 4 cup liquid measuring cup) put your detergent into your containers.

NOW: to explain the difference in amount of water used. Helen, a friend of mine, has 7 boys ages 2-16, I believe. She uses the 5 gallon recipe and puts in roughly 5/8 cup detergent to each load. I imagine with boys (though hers seem pretty clean) the clothes are sometimes nice and dirty, and she has no complaints about her soap not working. Hilary uses the 2 1/2 gallon recipe and uses 1/2 cup unless the load is really dirty, when she uses 1 cup. So they've been using about the same amount of soap with very different concentrations. Last night when I made my soap I decided to meet in the middle and used 3 1/2 gallons (56 cups total) of water and plan on using 1/2 cup unless super dirty. I'll let you guys know if I think I need to use a little more.

This recipe costs about $1.50- $2.00 to make, depending where you get your ingredients! NOTE: the Orem wal-mart doesn't have the ingredients! I'm still trying to figure out the best place to buy ingredients, but it's hard to remember to look when I'm out and about. Buy Low has everything you need, but it's probably more like $2-$2.10 from there.

If you want to make some with me, or have me help you, just let me know- I'd really love to get together! :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow - I can't wait to try that. Can I repost this on my crafty blog?

Jacob and Nicole said...

Definitely Jess!!!!!!!!

Angela B said...

You can also make a powder really easy by just grating the bar and mixing it with the same amount of borax and washing soda. We just use it for Michael's work clothes washed in hot water.

I read the fels naptha will yellow and ruin the wicking on the men's g's... so you should still use commercial detergents for them, as a side note.

-