Tuesday, October 26, 2010

10 months?!?!?

That's right 10 months.. Apparently there is a new wives tale floating around that says pregnancy is 10 months... I'd like to clear this up for those of you who are confused. The first time I heard it when I was pregnant with Samantha I literally laughed aloud. I'm kinda one of those people that thinks about things a lot in my head. In the car I zone out and just think about how the numbers on license plates go together. For example: 78254.. I would eventually come to the conclusion that 7x8-2 is 54. And I even put the parentheses around it in my head, if needed for order of operation.

Anyway, needless to say I have known probably since I was 8 that there are Not 4 weeks in a month.. There are almost 4 1/2 (with the exception of Feb.) Let's do simple math here.. If there were 4 weeks in every month.. There would be 48 weeks a year, but there are Not 48 weeks a year, there are 52 weeks and 1 day. (unless it's leap year, but we aren't going to go into leap year.)

So back to pregnancy being 10 months (haha). I can see how those who haven't thought about how many weeks are really in a month could think this. You know, 4 weeks in a month, pregnancy is 40 weeks long.. 10 months, simple math!

To further prove my point, I have taken the minute or 2 to literally go through the calendar and count out 40 weeks. OK so they base your due date on 40 weeks after the first day of your last period. Say I began my period on March 1, 2010. My due date would be December 6, 2010. That's right.. 9 months, 5 days. If you want to get even more technical, you technically are Not even pregnant the first 2 weeks of pregnancy. For those of you who have not taken sex ed-- You ovulate and are fertilized approximately 14 days (2 weeks) after the first day of your period. Which takes us down to about 8 months 3 weeks (or 38 weeks) of actual pregnancy.

We are already pregnant 9 long months, why turn it into 10? So men can feel all bad for us? Well, they don't. They wish pregnancy was shorter just as much as we do!!

5 comments:

Trev and Whit said...

Haha I'm so glad you posted this! I can't even count how many people I've had to explain the exact same thing to! It drives me crazy when people say we are pregnant for 10 months!

Angela B said...

I always thought that the "10th Month" referred to going over your due date- Because you were pregnant longer than the average 9 months.

Katrina said...

Love this post! Shows you are so pregnant and can't think about much else! ;) jk but I agree, pregnancy is too long no matter how long it is. However, I believe there are specific reasons god made it that way...so I try not to be too unhappy or grumpy about it-despite how much I have waiting and am uncomfortable! :) don't worry, I'm the worst at being content while pregnant! :)

Sharon said...

So excited for you. At least you have most of the months out of the way.

lindsay gwynn walton said...

oh my freak THANK YOU! I seriously hate hate hate it when people say 10 months. And you really don't have to be that bright to figure out that's not true. Seriously, this drives me crazy.

:) Sorry for all the comments. I just discovered your blog!

-