Monday, October 18, 2010

It's official..

Samantha no longer sucks her thumb!! So they say your child should stop finger sucking and/or taking a pacifier by the time they are 2 1/2 to prevent permanent dental problems. Samantha will be 2 on Wednesday, and I wanted her done by age 2. She's DONE! Her thumb hasn't been anywhere near her mouth since Wednesday night last week. Last Wednesday this beauty came to me in the mail (not randomly, I ordered it off Amazon)

It worked like a charm! I wasn't going to put it on until that evening because nap time is the best time of day, but she found it in my purse and brought it to me all open and with a little smeared on her hands going "prettys!" (she loves nail polish) sooo I washed it off as best I could.. but it doesn't really wash off, haha. Anyway it was funny, the rest of the afternoon when she would habitually put her thumb in her mouth she'd immediately pull it out with a disgusted look on her face and say 'gross'. she didn't associate it with the "nail polish" she'd put on earlier, and she didn't associate it with mom and dad... it was kinda like her thumb just now tastes bad and that's the way life is. There were no tears, no drama, no traumatic moments, nothing. It was wonderful. Much easier than the pacifier removal horror stories I hear :)

3 comments:

Charles and Nancy said...

Yay!! Now I know what to get if Chloe doesn't stop sucking her thumb by 2 1/2. I'm glad that it worked so well and hopefully if I have to use it that it will be just as easy.

Katrina said...

Wahoo!!! Go Samantha! :)

Now...can I put some of that on Kamryn's binkies?! :)
jk

Rachel said...

Man, I'm glad that worked well. I'm jealous. I've heard horror stories from using that stuff, but maybe I should have tried it anyway. That's awesome it worked so well. And maybe I should have done more research before making Emi stop...you said before 2 and 1/2 and they won't have any dental damage...Emi is only 15 months...but I could see her gum-line was already misshaped. Oh well. What's done is done, and the important thing is her gum-line already looks better and I don't have to stress about it anymore. Wahoo!

-