Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Years Resolution

This year I thought a LOT about what I could do for a New Years resolution. I don't know if anyone else is like this, but most years if I make a list of goals, it ends up being about 20 goals long because there's so many things I want to change, and I do it for a day or 2 and end up feeling bad about myself because I can't keep them all (go figure.. who can set that many goals and actually keep them?) I decided this year I would set ONE. ONE goal. That's it. I want to add another one in every few months, but I really felt like I needed to just pick one thing and then do it for the whole year. Obviously I am going to try to be better about doing all of the little things in life that are important, but I really wanted just one thing to CHANGE about myself. Not the same old habits of 'eat this many calories a day' or 'only 2 desserts a week' or 'read my scriptures EVERY day' or 'go to the temple twice a month' etc etc etc.. (oh and not saying those aren't good things-- they are, and I am definitely trying to be better at them!) I wanted to make a change in ME. Not my habits and routine but just change something about myself that I could implement into my life and that will make me a better person forever.

Curious what I decided on? Here it is:

My goal for this year is to simply be a more uplifting mother. That's it. I feel like I tell Samantha 'no' a lot, and that I get after her about everything. I decided I want to build up my children, and help them have greater confidence in themselves. I don't want to be a degrading mother that is always nitpicking at her kids and making them feel bad about themselves. I want to try to focus on the positive things Samantha (and the rest of my kids!) is doing, and not the negative.

1 comment:

Charles and Nancy said...

I don't like New Years Resolutions because of the facts that you mentioned. We all start out good and then get overwhelmed and quit a few weeks later. So I like that you are just picking one thing to work on and then when you feel like tackling something else adding that too.

-