Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birth story

Well, here it is, my birth story! Free time is hard to come by, so this isn't going to be as in depth as it is in my personal journal, but oh well! Also, this is NOT a birth horror story.. in fact, it's quite the opposite, and I look back and am a little jealous of myself of how easy it was, because next time is sure to not be such a breeze. Oh well!

So at my 38 week appointment (I was 37 weeks and 6 days) I was feeling pretty miserable. I was super emotional and the last week had been really hard. I'd had Samantha at exactly 37 weeks and it was just hard psychologically going that extra week! My intention was to have my doctor strip my membranes since I hadn't been having any contractions (or so I thought) besides the same old braxton hicks I'd been having for the last 6 or 7 months, and I wanted to be Done! Anyway, while my doc was checking me, (oh, I found out why it hurts SOO bad when I get checked- I have a posterior cervix. Nice.) I asked him to strip my membranes, and he said that unfortunately, he could not. Because I had tested positive for the group B strep. I almost started crying, I was so upset! Then he looked at me funny and asked if I was sure I wasn't having contractions, because I was at a 5!! A 5!! I cheered up considerably at the news... 5 is supposed to be the magic number. They almost always admit you if you go into the hospital and are at a 5!! My doctor got all serious and talked to me more about testing positive for group B strep. He said it's no big deal if you have it, they just like you to be on an IV with antibiotics for at least 4 hours before you give birth, and then there aren't any problems, otherwise they have to do all these tests for infections on your baby. SO then he told me that if I started having ANY contractions I needed to go in ASAP. He said I didn't need to time them or anything, just go straight in! I was overjoyed, and decided to go home and do all the things (besides castor oil) that are supposed to help you go into labor.

Later that night, I was able to get some contractions going about 10 min apart, (they weren't painful ones, but the machine doesn't pick up how intense contractions are) and after they'd stuck around for over an hour, we decided to head on over to the hospital! I got admitted super fast-- they checked me and I was at a 5 plus (they said that's like a 5 1/2), and since I was having a few contractions and had the group B strep, that's all it took! My doctor actually told them to Not check me any more -he didn't want my water to break- so they hooked me up to the antibiotics (which was actually kinda painful.. I don't think I like IV antibiotics at all, it burned going in!), and I requested an epidural (aaahhh, not a good decision) so that I could sleep through the night (it was about midnight when I requested it). I got my epidural and it wasn't a good one. Apparently there is a slight curvature to my spine and he got the epidural a little to the right. I was beyond numb, like unable to move my leg by myself on the right side, and on the left it was just barely numb. Like restlessly numb, and it didn't feel good. At all. Anyway as soon as I got the epidural my contractions stopped, and the nurses were thrilled. 4am rolled around, and I'd been on the antibiotic for 4 hours, and they gave me another dose- I guess ideally you are on the antibiotic for 8 hours, but 4 hours is enough. So they gave me some more. They said my doc had a meeting in the early morning that was supposed to get over at 8, and that he would come in and break my water at that point. (I still wasn't contracting even a tiny bit)

8:15 rolls around and there's my doctor, all excited, and he breaks my water then heads over to the office (my doc's OB office is attached to the hospital). Still no contractions!!! 9 o'clock rolls around and the nurses hook me up to a very small amount of pitocin. By this point, my epidural feels even worse. No numbing at all on the left side, and kind of a dull ache on the right side. I start feeling contractions about 3 minutes later, and a little before 10 a nurse came in to check me and said I was 'almost there' about 5-10 more minutes. Well, after she'd been gone about 1 minute, there it was- the urge to push! I yelled at Jacob to call the nurse! The urge to push was SOOOO strong!! The nurses came in and informed me I would have to wait a few minutes for my doctor to come over before I could push. It was NOT what I wanted to hear! It was horrible trying to keep my baby inside! I didn't experience this urge to push with Samantha, because of the epidural, but it is STRONG. Anyway my doctor got there and I was able to start pushing. I was terrified of bursting open, so I held back and only pushed halfheartedly.. anyway it only took about 4 1/2 halfhearted pushes, and our sweet little boy was born at 10:08 am. The first thing Jacob said concerning the labor and delivery process was "everyone is going to hate you when you tell them you were in labor for only an hour" ahhh I am a lucky girl.

Now I'm just wishing I hadn't gotten an epidural, because everyone knows it's the "cool" thing to not get an epidural when you're Mormon (why, I will never know.. but it seems you get major cool points among fellow Mormon mommies..) As for me, I don't enjoy pain, so I intend to get one with the rest of my kids (ha! or kid..2 more seems like too many). As a friend of mine's husband says "You wouldn't go to the dentist and get a tooth removed without Novocaine just so you can say 'you did it' so why on earth would you not get pain medicine during birth just so you can say 'you did it'??!"

*** I would like to add that I know there are other reasons to not get an epidural, and that is fine, I just will never understand why people don't get one for the sole purpose of being able to say they 'did it'


8 comments:

Charles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I accidentally posted a comment under Charles's account. Anyway, I wish I had enough time to get an epidural. By the time I feel pain the baby is practically here so I can't get one. With both pregnancies it was like that so I doubt I'll ever get one. I'm glad you found a doctor that you like and that everything went well and Jase is here safe!

Cynthia said...

What a great story, my story is like that with Connor. I don't get epi's but I don't feel like I need them-by the time I wanted one with Connor I was at a 10 and he was 1 cm out already, and as soon as I know it is time to push, I don't really feel the pain, so I don't get one because I don't need it and I don't like taking meds. :)

Great story though, I hope your next one follows suit!

Lacey.costner said...

I'm so happy you had a great experience with Dr. Young!! And I think the name Jase is PERFECT!

Stephanie said...

Haha, I think it's funny that you said it's the cool thing not to get an epidural if you are Mormon. My ward is pretty well divided between, epidural, no epidural, and whatever.

After 3 babies WITH an epidural I have decided that I would rather do it without for number 4. I think Heavenly Father has prepped me for it slowly, but I just haven't had good experiences.

It "worked" only during my first birth, but I had to keep getting more and it wore off really quickly after he was born (I had to get a numbing shot in order to get stitched up), but it made it extremely difficult for me to push.

If they worked for me, I am certain that I would keep getting them though. One of my good friends promised to be at the next birth so that she can cheer me on, since I'll need the reminder that epidurals don't work for me. Haha. Usually I don't remember that part and just freak out and ask for one, because making the initial pain (or most of it) go away seems more important at the time than the other horrible side effects that I have.

Sry for rambling, but this is what I do... :)

PLEASE TEXT ME YOUR NAME! My phone died and now I need to put your number into my new one (which is actually the same phone, just in much better condition - working, for instance...).

NOT: If I at all sound cranky in this post, please ignore that tone, because I don't intend to. I am on my period for the first time in 18 months and my judgment is intensely whacked right now. It's really annoying.

Rachel said...

I'm glad the birth went well! It's refreshing to hear a good birth story!

Comstock Family said...

Nicole, i love your birthing story, it sounds alot like mine but i definately get my epidurals. I went into the hospital with my second and i wasnt even sure if i was in labor they had me wait in the waiting room for 45 minutes while a room became available and i only had one contraction the whole wait and when they checked me they said i was at a nine and they rushed me in, who knew?? but the reason i am commenting is you said that your anibiotics burned when they went in, though i have not had the anibiotic myself, my sisters all have had them and this happens for some of them. My sister found out that one its not suppose to burn and two that there is another antibiotic you can get that doesnt hurt but you have to ask for it! I know it will be a while before you give birth again but if you test positive again, ask for the substitute so it doesnt hurt! Your little guy is adorable! COngrats, Carly Comstock!

Katrina said...

I'm so glad you found time to post this! :) I have been meaning to ask you about it but it has just been so crazy around here lately. I'm stressed to the max all of the time it seems! :) (I'm sure you understand!)

Sorry the epidural was so uncomfortable. But that is way exciting that you were in labor for only that long! Way to go! (I won't let Kelsey read your post till later...she is anxiously waiting for her baby to come! Due on Sunday... ;) :) )

I keep thinking I need to call you--but Kyler keeps getting sick. I wish we could go play and children could just take care of themselves! Wouldn't that be just fantastic! :) haha :)

-