Friday, April 29, 2011

A GREAT tip..

So I realize most people aren't really interested in health and wellness, so you don't have to read this. This is mostly because I am interested, and I really think this is an awesome tip and want to share!
So I got a month to month gym membership a few weeks ago (surprisingly inexpensive. Less per month than a 1 yr contract and I got all the fees waived) with some spending money I've been saving. With my membership I got to meet with a trainer for FREE. yay! I just have to share some insights on what the trainer said. VERY interesting. He broke down REALLY what matters when losing weight. And it all makes perfect sense when you think about it.
Nutrition is 50% of weight loss. Weights are 40%. and Cardio only 10%. I wasn't surprised by the nutrition part, but weights surprised me. But really, if you just give it a little thought, it makes perfect sense. Let me explain.
So, nutrition- really, it does matter. You WON'T lose weight unless you are consuming less calories than you are using. No. matter. what. (k fine, I guess you could get lipo or whatever else) So, eat 1 piece of pizza instead of 4, have 1/2 T of ranch instead of 3. Look at how big your portions really are, and consume less calories! And strictly weight loss speaking (healthy speaking aside!) quantity matters more than quality. If someone is eating 1200 calories of junk a day, they will lose weight faster than someone eating 2000 calories of healthier foods.
Weights- the trainer explained to me that for every pound of muscle you gain, you burn 50 more calories a day simply by existing. Gain 10 pounds of muscle and don't consume any extra calories and you'll lose a pound a week simply by breathing. FYI: 5 pounds of muscle= the size of about 3 tangerines. 5 pounds of fat= about 3 grapefruit. wow.
Then we have cardio. It really does make sense that as far as weight loss is concerned, it is only 10%. I very strongly think everyone should do cardio 3-5 times a week because it is soooo good for you, but if you think about it, you can go burn 400 calories on the treadmill, but it doesn't really keep burning later. Whereas weight lifting you get the calories burned while doing it, and it keeps giving back!
Anyway I know most people don't care, and to some this is old news, but I just never thought about the muscle thing before. Anyway, for those who care, just thought I'd put this out there!

3 comments:

Briana said...

That's really fascinating. So interesting...
I had no idea

Rachel said...

David has been saying this to me for years. I believe him NOW, but it took me a while to come around.
However, that being said, I've lost 20 pounds this last year that I give credit to running. Once I started running 3 to 4 times a week, the pounds just starting melting off. I guess that's not exactly fair, I also do weights a few times a week as well. Lol, maybe it's been the weights this whole time, and not the running. I don't know if I care, all I know is that I feel so much healthier when I run severaly times a week and eat well. Mostly I do the weights to spend time with my hubby at the gym. If that's what's helping me loose all the weight--then so be it! :)

Katrina said...

very neat. That's exciting you got a gym membership! Go you! :)

-