Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's gotta be said!

I've been thinking about this blog post for awhile now. After reading this post, I decided it was time. Before I get into this I would like to say that this post definitely applies to me, but I am trying to be better! Also, this post is NOT directed at anyone in particular!!

Ashley talks about how we use the excuses that we "are just being honest" or "have the right to free speech" or "I am entitled to my own opinion" to dismiss our actions towards another human. My favorite thing she says is this: "I have also used other excuses such as 'I am just an honest person' or 'I am blunt'. However I have come to realize this, just because my mouth moves and words come out when I tell them to, does not mean I will ever have the right to criticize someone else, or put them down." (emphasis added by me) I recommend everyone go read the rest of her post, because she says it SO well!

Lately I keep seeing posts that are judgmental and critical of others. Granted, we really can write whatever we want on our blogs, but that definitely doesn't mean we should go around saying things that will hurt others. Why as women do we feel the need to put each other down all the time? Does it really matter who has less spare time? Who is skinnier? Who is in better shape? Who fought harder for breastfeeding? Who is a 'better' mommy? Whose kids are better behaved at the store? I say no. It doesn't matter. What matters is what we are doing in our own families. I am proud to be a stay at home mom, I am grateful that my husband thinks it's so important and that we are able to make it work for me to be at home. Want to know the main reason I am proud to be a stay at home mom? Because it is a decision we made and we know that our Heavenly Father is pleased with. It is a decision I am confident is right for OUR family. I know for many of you, it is the right decision to work, and that is just fine! It's more than fine, it's great! But, this post isn't about working or stay at home mommas (that was merely an example), it is about being kind.

What I am trying to say, is that the important thing is that WE are doing what is best for OUR families and that we keep Heavenly Father involved. It doesn't matter what others are doing for their families. I really and truly feel that everyone is doing what they believe is best for their families (or if they don't have a family what is best for them), so let's give everyone a break and stop criticizing them! I want everyone who reads this blog to know that I love and look up to all of you, no matter what situation you are in! You women are amazing! We are all amazing! Let's remember that!

And if you are looking for an uplifting, inspiring blog, click here. you won't be disappointed.

9 comments:

Powell's Place said...

Well said. And I agree.

Scott and Heather said...

I agree! I work full-time and there are moments when I feel like people are judging me for it, but it is what works best for our family! I wouldn't worry what people blog about, everyone has their opinion but yours is the only one that matters for you family.

just a girl named ashley said...

want to know what is funny? We actually can't write whatever we want on our blogs. ITS AGAINST THE LAW! I did some major research after the last hater, which our blog battle went back and forth in a few emails, me asking her why she did what she did, her explaining it was her blog she could do what she wants.

I found this quote
"Cyberharassment. Cyberharassment differs from cyberstalking in that it is generally defined as not involving a credible threat. Cyberharassment usually pertains to threatening or harassing email messages, instant messages, or to blog entries or websites dedicated solely to tormenting an individual. Some states approach cyberharrassment by including language addressing electronic communications in general harassment statutes, while others have created stand-alone cyberharassment statutes."

so no we can't say whatever we want, the federal and state has to govern us by implimenting laws because all of us have different moral compasses!

Neat huh?

Powell's Place said...

snickers pie recipe: http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Ice-Cream-Snickers-Pie

I couldn't find the "In a Crunch" ice cream and just used Bryers snickers ice cream.

Kendra said...

Hey Girl! So NOT talking about you! I hope you didn't feel like that! And it wasn't so much my blog as my girlfriends! I can't stop giggling because sometimes people get so upset over nothing! I hope I didn't upset you! I agree with you, bullying is wrong and needs to stop. And the other people (that I'm blogging about) need to chill out. I've always felt that you say just what I'm thinking and know what I'm going through (You are honestly the ONLY other person I know that has shared my "little" problem(s) with me! I don't want to lose you!

Kendra said...

If I had your number I would call you to make sure you knew I wasn't referencing you at ALL. I don't have blog links to these troublemakers and as you can see you are on my friends blog link! :)

Kendra said...

Ok last comment! But I did read your blog today but that was before I read a million others and amongst those was the trouble maker. Ok now that I sound like a crazy lady, and I know you wouldn't leave nasty comments :) I wish everyone would do the same!

Kendra and Caleb said...

Sorry last last one. I got to thinking "what if everyone thinks this is directed at them?" I freaked out and posted a new blog. See you helped me learn from this, if you could think it was directed at you than any friend of mine could!

Sharon said...

Good blog Nicole. Now I wish we could all do a little better at not putting ourselves down. I find that is the hardest judgement to give up.

-