Thursday, June 2, 2011

Beauty

So as many of you know, I am into having good health. It is something I am interested in and something I strive for. On Sunday, our 5th Sunday meeting was about emergency preparedness (which apparently in our new ward is a common 5th Sunday topic, or so I hear). I kinda sighed, because let's face it, emergency preparedness tends to be a bit of a dry topic. Jase was fussy, so Jacob of course left with him, even though I offered. (Emergency preparedness may be one of those topics that we both tend to want to take care of the baby, haha). And well, I'm sure you can guess what happened... Yep, it turned out to be really good and I felt the Spirit quite strongly. A little background: So basically me quest for beauty that I have decided to start is just that I really want to believe that I am beautiful. I don't want to care about what others think of my body. And most importantly when others are trying to compete with me, I don't want to let it get to me. I want to be above all that, because it's juvenile and very degrading. Also, I don't want to compare myself to others. I can often tell when others are doing it to me, especially when it's all the time, and it's a degrading thing to do to people and it makes people feel bad, and I certainly don't want to be making other people feel that way. It's all so negative. So basically I want to be to the point where I don't care when others try to compete with me or compare themselves to me, and I don't want to compare myself to others. I just want to feel good about myself and love me for me! I do believe that feeling good about yourself goes hand in hand with keeping yourself in good health. I do NOT believe you have to be skinny to be in good health (though I tend to hold myself to this standard..doh!). But really, you need to be eating healthy foods and exercising regularly to be in good health. In my quest for beauty I am trying to find a balance where I have a healthy lifestyle, but not obsessive or too worried about it. I want to FEEL good. But (for me at least) part of feeling good on the inside goes with feeling good on the outside (health wise).
Anyway, back to the 5th Sunday meeting. It consisted of a few different speakers and 2 of them really touched my heart. The first one was about gardening and the lady was saying how her 4 year old prefers salad over pizza or hamburgers, because that's what she's grown up on and enjoys. It made me want that for my children. I don't want them to be addicted to foods that are bad for our bodies. The other lady that really touched me talked about how when she was 28 she had 3 (or 4?) boys and the oldest was 5. She had had bad health her whole life. She was constantly getting sick and started to have arthritis in her hands and just felt awful and was having a hard time taking care of her little boys. She started eating whole foods and within months her arthritis was almost gone and she wasn't getting sick as often. Now she is 62, has no arthritis and rarely gets sick and doesn't have any health problems- and she looks great too! She testified that if we truly live the Word of Wisdom, then we will have the blessings that are promised. She also testified how those promises are for this life, and we can have them in this life! And I agree with her. For a LONG time I have known that the word of wisdom isn't just don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs and don't drink coffee. It is so much more! It's not overeating, it's eating healthy foods, it's exercising regularly! It is taking care of our beautiful temples that Heavenly Father has blessed us with. There are many foods out there that are processed and enriched and enhanced and chemically altered. Many of them are addictive, and I feel that part of the word of wisdom is being free of addictions to substances. I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect and have a long ways to go. The lady then said that it is our job to study up on food, find out what is healthy. Read books, and learn for ourselves how to better live the word of wisdom! I have done research on good health quite a bit, it is something that has always fascinated me, but I'll admit taking action on the things I've read hasn't been as big. I've made small changes here and there, but nothing huge.
Well, I Love to read. The book idea sounded great to me! A couple of days ago we went to the library and I got 2 books that I felt would help me learn more about food. I didn't want a book about how to restrict my diet and be skinny- I wanted a book about eating whole foods that seemed in line with the word of wisdom. Last night I started the first one, and I have already read a bunch of it. I'm hooked. I would like to recommend this book to everyone. It's by Jillian Michaels (don't judge- it seems to me, she knows what she's talking about. She has helped hundreds get in better shape!) and called Master You Metabolism. I'll give you a little summary: she talks about how all the over-processed junk we eat is affecting our hormones. Our bodies aren't designed to know what to do with a diet coke- nothing about it is natural. So we consume all these over-processed man made chemically altered foods and it throws off our hormones. When our hormones are skewed it throws off our metabolism. Our bodies are designed to eat the basics- not man made products that resemble them. It is an amazing read. It is very relatable and well written. It's interesting and I really think all should read it!
A couple hours ago Jacob and I went through our food and got rid of a bunch of stuff. It was very empowering and liberating, and we are excited to start making some positive changes in our lifestyle and diet!
I know most of your are uninterested about what I have to say about my quest for beauty and being healthy, so I decided to start another blog, just for that. It's something I enjoy writing about and don't really care if anyone reads it, but in case any of you are actually interested I'll post a link to it, then those who aren't interested don't have to sift through those posts to get to what they want to read about. (not that I really even know what anyone wants to read about, haha) As of right now, we can only connect to the internet for about 15 seconds at a time (took me 3 times connecting to get to this page where I could write- thank goodness I don't have to be connected to write on here!) so the new blog probably won't be up til next week sometime when we have real internet!

post signature

5 comments:

Tara said...

I'm interested in reading your new blog and learning more about wholesome eating - it's something I'm really interested in too, but sometimes at a loss of where to start!

Stephanie said...

I'm so excited for you! We've been making changes around our house as well. It's a process for sure and sometimes I get discouraged, but I just keep remembering - 1 step at a time.

We have a new blog www.familyhealthnaturally.blogspot.com where we talk a lot about the doTERRA essential oils, but have also started talking about other health related things as we learn them.

Some of our current changes include making soaked whole grain bread, replacing sugar with natural sweeteners (like honey, etc), and just overall introducing more fruits an vegetables. The kids are doing so hot with it, but we'll all get there at some point. :)

Sara said...

I'm excited to read your new blog! I'm pretty into wholesome eating. It's less about beauty and more about overall health for me. It's a result of having constant migraines for the past 8 months or so. I find I have much better days when I eat healthier and exercise regularly. I'm kind of obsessed. I do need to be better about it with my kids though- I don't like fighting the battles with them but I need too! I'd love to hear how you get yours to choose healthier options! Can't wait to see it!

Team Shelton said...

Hey Nicole...
I'm so glad that you are making healthy changes in your life. After I finished 52 weeks of chemotherapy I really wanted to change the way I was eating {and honestly I wasn't eating that bad}. My familly and I now eat a whole food plant based diet. I feel healthier physically and mentally. When people question how we should eat, it's so simple-follow the word of wisdom. I have a lot of books that I would recommend and this is a huge interest of mine, it's actually one of the driving forces that made me decide to go to medical school-so if you want more info, feel free to e-mail me.
heidiw_00 at hotmail dot com. Talk to you soon :)
-Heidi Williams-Shelton

Danelle and Alex said...

We are really into whole foods right now too. You should youtube green smoothie girl. That's what we have been doing and its amazing how much better a "green smoothie" makes you feel. We are planting all kinds of stuff for them in our garden so we can provide whole foods ourselves. I'm excited about it! I'm excited to see your new blog!

-