Saturday, December 31, 2011

I'm thinking a lot right now about New Year's Resolutions...Thinking about the difference between a resolution and a goal. Another blogger pointed out a resolution she was making and emphasized it wasn't a goal, which I had never really thought about before.   It seems to me that a resolution is a changed state of mind. Resolving to do something. Dictionary.com says: the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.  I looked up the definition for goal, and with a goal it seems to have an end point.  For example:  I will run a marathon on May 1, 2012  (which is AWESOME, if that is one of your New Year's things- go you!  I am in no way putting you down and I'd love to join you!) would be a goal, whereas if you stated that you resolve to exercise 3 times a week, it means that it would be a habit you would establish and hopefully keep until you die.  I think in the past I have done a lot of in between type stuff, like "read my scriptures every day" which is kind of like a resolution, except that my intent was to make it until Dec. 31 of the next year.  So this year I want to really set a resolution or 2 or 3 (we'll see how ambitious I am feeling later), and I think I will also set smaller goals that will help me to achieve my new resolve(s).  
Just as a side note: I am in no way criticizing the setting of goals for New Years, I love that it is a new year and we can all hopefully make ourselves better this coming year.  I am also in no way saying you need to change and start setting resolutions!  I just was thrown into thought when I read a friend's blog and she stated she was making a resolution NOT a goal- because it was something important to her that she wanted to change.  Anyway have fun tonight everyone!  Party hard (mormon style, lol)!!


5 comments:

mwoodall said...

Nicole, I say don't worry so much about if other people will get offended by your posts. People will get offended by any and everything! Good post! I too will try to focus on resolutions. Love you and miss you!

Katrina said...

I like your definitions. Good thinking. And I think they can go hand in hand! :)

Now, are you going to SHARE anything you are resolving to do?!?!! :)

cara said...

When I read, "I will run a marathon on May 1, 2012" I seriously thought you were running a marathon.

Kendra and Caleb said...

Loved this ;) and I agree, you shouldn't worry about offending people so much. I couldn't find anything in this post that could be offensive!!! Your awesome and should share your insight!!!

Sharon said...

I've got a few resolutions that are ongoing. Wish they were just a part of me!

-