Friday, April 20, 2012

Being me

I love being at home with my little ones. Kids smell so good, don't you think? So, there is something that I have been doing lately (and maybe it's incredibly dumb of me to not have done it before??? I just never thought about it) that I just have to share.. maybe it will help you guys too! SO my kids get up about 7. I used to roll out of bed at the sound of their cries and go get them. I would feed them, and scramble trying to play with them, feed them etc while trying to get myself ready. Not anymore. I read somewhere that when we are stay at home moms, that is our job. Our work. And that got me to thinking. You don't just wake up and start working. You wake up and get ready for work, then work! So now I get up 40 minutes earlier (we work out at night, so that isn't something that would motivate me to do this), get dressed, hair and makeup(remember working out the night before? That includes a shower :)), read my scriptures, and then have about 10 minutes to do whatever I want before I go get them. Sometimes I check blogs, make eggs for breakfast, write in my journal, read... Guys, it has made all the difference! If you feel a little big lagg-y (I know, made up word) in the mornings and maybe like you don't want to roll out of bed, give this a try! Having a little bit of time to feel like myself, and have my own identity besides "mom" first thing in the morning, has made me feel so much better. I feel stronger, I am more motivated to spend quality time with my kids, teaching, playing, laughing, running around, etc. It is easier for me to be a "mom" all day, if I am myself for a short while before I become mom. post signature

5 comments:

mwoodall said...

That's an awesome idea! I'll have to remember that for when I'm a mom. :)

Nancy said...

I totally agree! I love getting up a little earlier so I can have some time to get ready for the day. I work out in the morning so I do that and then shower, get dressed, and have breakfast. It's nice and on the days that they get up earlier or I sleep in I don't have as good of days.

Angela B said...

I kept trying to do this and found that the earlier I got up, the earlier the kids got up. So, we decided to just include them in our morning routine (parent-directed mornings instead of kid-directed.) It made a good impact too.

Rachel said...

I agree with Angela. I can't seem to wake up earlier than my kids. If I get up, I swear they have a sixth sense (or maybe not, it's probably more to do with them hearing me..so still 5 senses) and they get up earlier too.
But I'm happy you've found something that works for you to make you feel more like "you." I think it's important to find a way to feel balanced as a Mom. It sounds like you found it! :)

Katrina said...

Glad it's working so well for you!! Ryan and I have often talked about doing this same idea--and there was a time I was pretty good at it. But it's been a while because pregnancy kicks my trash (energy wise) and now nursing a newborn throughout the night...it's hard to know what time she will be up or when the other 2 are up. JOWEVER, as soon as this time is over--I hope to try to get 'me time' in the morning back again!! :) ;)

-