Thursday, February 21, 2013

Organs

Unfortunately this post won't have any pictures. I just have a lot on my mind and need an outlet. So as most of you probably know, my beautiful little 5 month old niece is waiting for a liver so that she can get a liver transplant. For her blood type (completely normal--A) she has the highest need in the Western US. She is a very sick little girl and needs a liver badly. This whole thing has been so many ups and downs. Mostly downs, but you know. I have felt so much guilt that I haven't yet met and held that sweet little girl.  Yesterday afternoon she got a liver offer, and we were all so elated. Late last night, the liver offer was declined. I have no idea why. My heart goes out to the family of the potential donor. I can only imagine how awful it would be to lose a child. I'm praying with all my heart that my brother and his wife don't have to find out.  It would be a hard decision for a family to donate the organs of a lost loved one, I can get that.
 I proudly proclaimed "YES" when I turned 15 (not a typo, thanks Idaho!) and got my driver's license and they asked if I wanted to be an organ donor. I didn't know much about it, but the idea of saving others' lives if I died young was very novel to me.  Now that I know more about the process, I am definitely still an organ donor, but Jacob has told me it would be very hard on him to donate my organs.
Since the very beginning of this whole thing my heart has ached for the family of whoever ends up being little Saylor's donor. My heart aches knowing that Saylor will get to live because another baby died and their family was selfless enough to donate their organs. It's very humbling.  I never thought that I would be related to someone who has had an organ transplant, it always seemed so distant to me, like something in books and movies, not something that could happen to me or my family. Please pray for my sweet niece and my brother and his wife.
Are you an organ donor? More than 6,000 people in the US die every year waiting for an organ transplant. That's 19 people each day.

3 comments:

Powell's Place said...

So sad that the liver wasn't a compatible match! My little 2-year-old nephew needed a kidney, and they went through the same ordeal of being offered a kidney and then having it taken away for unknown matching reason. He eventually received a kidney from a live donor that didn't even know the family, but that was a PERFECT match. His mom wasn't a match for him, but she was a match for another man, and that man's daughter was a match for my nephew. There is a program that allows family members to "swap" kidneys between the two families. It was pretty neat and amazing to see how selfless people can be. I am a donor too! But for an even closer reason. I can see because someone was a donor; I have someone's cornea. After receiving something so great, there is no way I can't be a donor, but my husband also said it would be really hard for him to have my organs donated (but he is also a donor). There is another liver for your niece that is even better and Heavenly Father is so aware of them right now!

Briana said...

This just breaks my heart. It's so said that people so small need organ transplants. Babies are supposed to be little and cute and perfect. I hope everything works out and I'll keep your brother's family in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm an organ donor too. I figure, I'm not going to be using them so someone might as well :)

Rachel said...

That is so sad. I saw your post on facebook a few days ago, and she is beautiful!

-