Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Birth Story

Today Everett is 4 months old! I realized I have not yet written down his birth story (oops!) so here goes! I had a difficult pregnancy with him. There was a lot of sickness and a LOT of pain, and, unfortunately, a lot of anger (anyone else experience pregnancy anger? How did you deal? What helped? I need to figure this out if I'm going to get pregnant again). I was very anxious about having Everett.  I was terrified. I wasn't very nervous about having Sammi or Jase.. I knew I'd love them and I knew I could do it. I have a Lot of love to give, I wasn't concerned about loving Everett as much as my other kids (I know some are concerned about things like that) or anything along those lines. I was just worried about being able to handle 3 kids, and TERRIFIED of colic. Jacob puts in 70-80+ hours/wk into school. It doesn't leave a lot of time for helping. Samantha had colic and Jacob was only gone about 45-50 hrs/ wk and it was sooo nice to catch a break from the screaming when he came home! Turns out Heavenly Father knows what we can handle and I was correct in assuming I couldn't handle colic by myself, haha! Everett is the perfect baby. He smiles and giggles and he only cries is he is wet or tired or if something spooks him.  I don't think he has full out screamed more than twice, and it was less than a minute both times. He is a joy and my little ray of sunshine. It is an almost daily occurrence for me to be extremely frustrated with one of the older kids and feel at my wit's end, when I turn and see Everett just smiling at me happily and my heart is immediately softened. Don't get me wrong, he is a baby so still a lot work, but he has brought a special light to our home.

Well, back to the birth story. At my 34 week ultrasound we saw that baby boy was already about 6 pounds.. ha! That made me nervous! He was estimated to be about 9 pounds if I reached 40 weeks. Sheesh!  I planned everything out with Jacob's little sister Ariel, who was coming to help out. My due date was Dec. 12, the day Jacob would be finishing his finals. I was very concerned about baby boy coming early (I had Sammi at 37 weeks and Jase at 38 weeks) and having no help for Jacob's finals week (a typical finals week for Jacob is him getting up at 4am, going straight to school and coming home 9:30-10ish and going straight to bed), or for him coming DURING finals week. So I decided to plan an induction for 39 weeks (Dec. 5) so that I could be guaranteed to have help during his finals week and also not interrupt his finals with baby boy coming.  My doctor was on board (esp since baby was so big! He doesn't like complications, he likes things to go smoothly) so we scheduled my induction for Dec. 5.  Just like when I was pregnant with Jase, I was dilated to a 5.5 and not very effaced or in labor. Things go really quickly once labor hits, if you're already at a 5.5 :) So Dec. 4 we went in at about 10 to get the cervadil stuff (ripens the cervix), turns out I'd progressed and effaced so I didn't need it.

 They hooked me up to an IV (group B strep positive.. gotta have those antibiotics for at LEAST 4 hours, preferably 8).. and that was horrible!! Ugh!! Sooo I'm pretty sure the girl that was doing the IV was new or just awful at it and practicing on me. I have decent veins on my wrist and I was super hydrated (over 90 oz of water that day!). She was soooooo slow at it and was digging around for forever. If you are a nurse, just get in there and jab it in! Seriously! My stomach still churns thinking about her digging around in there for a vein! I get really anxious when it comes to needles, and she just kept digging around. Then she thinks she has it set up and going and gets it all taped up, then it didn't have a good flow and she announces it had to come out.  Everything started turning black  and spinning (I almost lost my cookies.. except I don't have a gag reflex so I don't throw up, haha! but there was intense nausea) and I said something about not being able to see very well and feeling ill and they reclined my bed and started putting a cool washcloth on my head.. then they had to hook me up to oxygen- haaa! So embarrassing! :)  The same nurse tried AGAIN and failed. She left the room and I told one of the other nurses that somebody else was going for it because that girl was NOT coming near my arm again.. haha.  Third time was NOT the charm, unfortunately. That nurse was a digger too. So they went and got their "IV pro" and she came in, lined up her needle and BAM, fast as can be, she got it in!  Piece of cake. I have GOOD veins, I am telling you! Nurses: digging is bad when your patient gets anxious around needles!  Thank you for all the bruises and puffy veins and soreness. :)

Back to the story.. Well I didn't sleep much, because I was so excited and anxious about everything. In the morning around 7:30 or so they started me on some pitocin. I'm not crazy enough to go drugless on pitocin, so when they started hurting I got the epidural (again, needles make me anxious, so I have to wait until I'm in pain til I can suffer the terrifying epidural) but I reeeeeallly wanted just the lowest amount possible of medicine through my epidural. Just enough to take the edge off. I wanted to be able to feel how hard I was pushing and be able to feel so I can try to prevent a tear.. So I'm all hooked up and ready to go, feeling my contractions and in a little pain, but not a lot. About an hour later they check me and I'm at an 8 and decide to call my doctor, who is 20 minutes away. Less than 10 minutes later everything got more intense and I wanted to push soooooooo badly! So Jacob got a nurse and she checked me and I was complete. I couldn't control my urge to push, so the nurse reached over and pushed my epidural button THREE times!! Immediately everything went numb :( I no longer had the urge to push! So sad! My doctor came about 10 minutes later. I was SOO numb. They could have cut off my body below my rib cage and I would have been none the wiser!

 At this point there were at LEAST 10 people in my room.. Some nursing students had asked to see my birth and they were in there with their supervising nurses, then there were my nurses, and Everett's nurses and Jacob, and my doc.. it was a PACKED room! So doc tells me to push and I push and everyone starts cheering for me and saying how great I was doing! It was funny. And I was just soaking it up, enjoying being the star of the show! haha! My next push wasn't nearly as good cause I was focused on the other people in my room, not on pushing... However, his head had come out and I had NO idea!! So my doctor told me to give one really good push (I was thinking 'The head must be right there, I need one big push to get the head out!') so I pushed with all my might... and Jacob said Everett came flying out like a bar of wet soap. My doctor literally had to catch him.. haha!! I was so bewildered when they said I was done! What???!!  He was born at 9:46 am 8lb 7oz of pure love and joy :)
Next up: His time in the NICU


2 comments:

Briana said...

That's a lot of people. Crazy. You guys need to be closer. I miss you.

Katrina said...

Love it!
I was that numb with Kamryn ...I was so irritated that I couldn't feel what was going on when pushing! It felt like NOTHING was happening and everyone kept saying she was there. Luckily I didn't have to push long before she actually was there. It was the weirdest thing.
I laughed at the doctor having to catch him. :) lol

can't believe it's been 4 months. And can't believe how big your other kiddos are either. I know Sammi and Kamryn are the same age, but it's hard to picture them together as 5 year olds now! :)

Miss you guys!
Good job posting! :) (I'm HORRIBLE AT IT THESE DAYS) :(

-